عن بيت الجغرافيا..
نافذة معرفية غير هادفة للربح، تقدم رؤى وأفكارا في علوم المكان، عن مصر والعالم؛ مقالات ثقافية، وتهتم بالبحث والترجمة وعروض الكتب في مجال الحغرافيا وعلوم المكان. كذلك تطوف أرجاء العالم وتستكشف الجميل والفريد عبر رحلات وأسفار هنا وهناك… وغير ذلك الكثير.
للأستاذ الدكتور: عاطف معتمد عبد الحميد محمد
أستاذ الجغرافيا الطبيعية – كلية الآداب – جامعة القاهرة
والمستشار الثقافي الأسبق لجمهورية مصر العربية في روسيا
(1) Personal Information
NAME: Atef Moatamed Abdulhamed Mohamad
Date of Birth: 11/9/1969
(2) Professional Summary
For about three decades, since 1991, a Cairo university teaching staff member and a professor of geomorphology since 2012. In 2001 he gained a Ph.D. in Geomorphology, St. Petersburg University, Russian Federation. In addition to exploration and extensive travelling as a visiting professor, he published different researches and studies in geomorphology and human-induced environmental changes. In 2009 he was awarded the National Prize in social sciences from the Egyptian Ministry of Culture. Since 2016 he launched “geo-house.info“ website, a nonprofit electronic portal aiming to disseminate geographic knowledge. He represented his country as the cultural councilor in the Embassy of Egypt in Moscow (2014-2016). He translated – from English and Russian into Arabic –outstanding books and dictionaries in modern geographical issues.
- A in Geography (1991) from Geography Department, Faculty of Arts, Cairo University.
- A in Coastal Geomorphology (1996) from Geography Department, Faculty of Arts, Cairo University.
- D in Arid Land Geomorphology (2001) from the Faculty of Geography, St. Petersburg University, the Russian Federation.
(4) Work Experiences
(A) In Geography Department, Faculty of Arts, Cairo University, Egypt
– Demonstrator (1991-1996)
– Assistant Lecturer (1996-2001)
– Assistant Professor (2001-2007)
– Associate Professor (2007-2012)
– Full Professor (2012- till now)
(B) Visitor professor to:
– Rennes University, France (2008 and 2010)
– Freie Universität, Germany (2010)
– University of Belo Horizonte, Brazil (2011)
– Spiru Haret University, Romania (2012)
– Slovenian Academy of Science (2008, 2009 and 2010)
– Keynote speaker in many Russian university (2014-2016)
(5)Experiences in international affairs
During the period of October 2014- November 2016 he had the honor to represent his country in a diplomatic position as councilor of cultural and educational affairs in the Embassy of Arab Republic of Egypt in Moscow, Russian Federation. He was responsible for cultural relationships and implementing educational cooperation which resulted in numerous bilateral academic protocols and scientific agreements, the most prominent were between:
- Cairo University & Moscow University
- Asyut University & Makhachkala University
- Tanta University & Astrakhan University
- Fayum University & Azov University
- Egyptian Academy of Science & Russian Academy of Science
- National Center for Translation of Egypt & the Russian Institute of Translation in Moscow
- Cairo Book-fair & Moscow Book-fair
(6) Geographic exploration, field trips and travelling
- Arabia: (2001- 2003)
- India: Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Punjab (2004)
- Tunisia (2008)
- Dinaric Alps and western Balkan (2008)
- Alps in Central Europe (2009)
- Amazon River (2011)
- Great Ethiopian Rift (2012)
- The two lakes of Victoria and Tanganyika (2014)
- Zanzibar and Kilwa (2014)
- Eastern Caucasus and Caspian Sea (2014)
- Ural and Eurasian borderlands (2015)
- Western Caucasus and Black Sea (2014)
- Lake Baikal, Altai Mountains and Western Siberia (2016)
- Eastern Desert of Egypt (2017/2018)
- Western Desert of Egypt (2018/2019)
(A) Researches and studies
- Geomorphology of Dakhla Depression. in Erina Iwasaki et.al “Water resources, soil, and land use for sustainability of the Dakhla oasis, Western Desert of Egypt (in press, Springer)
- An Exploratory Study of Place- names in Sinai Peninsula, Egypt: A spatial approach. Annals of GIS Journal, volume 24, 2018, issue 3. (co-author with Nahed Taha Zeini)
- The Egyptian Red Sea sector. In Fahd El-Sammary and Abdullah Al-Welli’ie “Dictionary of Geographical places of the Red Sea”. King Abdulaziz Foundation for researches and archives. Riyad. Saudi Arabia. 2018
- Human-induced changes in the Red Sea coastal plain, between Suez and Mersa Alam, co-author with Ali Tamman. Egyptian Geographical Society. 2015 ( In Arabic)
- Anthropogenic landscape changes in Abu Qir Bay, North- Western Nile Delta.2013
- Geomorphology of Ushant Island, Northwestern France. Bulletin de la societe de Geographie D’Egypte, Egyptian Geographical Society. 2011 ( In Arabic)
- Brazil, the rising power from Latin America (co-author). Arab Scientific Publisher. Beirut. (2010). (in Arabic)
- India, factors of renaissance and challenges of rising up (co-author). Arab Scientific Publisher. Beirut. (2010). (in Arabic)
- Russia’s Return to the International Scene. Arab Scientific Publishers. Beirut (2009). (in Arabic)
- Mapping Limestone Landforms, Abu Zneima Area , Western Sinai. working paper in the 31st Internationa geographical Congress, Tunis. 2008
- Mapping wetland areas of Eastern Saudi Arabia, with the application of remote sensing techniques. Kuwait Geographical Society, Vol 336, 2008. pages 3-58. (in Arabic)
- Integration of remotely sensed data and field check in the study of sand dunes geomorphology, Eastern Arabia, Kuwait Geographical Society, Vol 330, 2007. pages 3-60. (in Arabic)
- Post-communism: religion, wealth and nationalism in the age of transformations. Published by Nahdet Misr. Cairo (2007). (in Arabic)
- Monitoring Human-induced Change along the western margin of Nile Delta. Kuwait Geographical Society, Vol 300, 2005. pages 1-49. (in Arabic)
- The Geomorphological controls behind tourism activities in Gizan area (Southwestern Saudi Arabia) Kuwait Geographical Society, Vol 287, 2004. pages 3-66. (in Arabic)
- The Environmental controls of Gizan city development (Southwestern Saudi Arabia). Mecca, 2004. (in Arabic)
- Granite Weathering in Halaib Area, Southeastern Egypt. Bulletin de la societe de Geographie D’Egypte, Egyptian Geographical Society. Vol 75, 2002. pages: 115-136.
- Geomorphology of Halaib Area, Southeastern Egypt. St. Petersburg University Press. 2001. (in Russian)
(8) Books and dictionaries translated from English and Russian into Arabic
- Emotional cities, debate on Urban change in Berlin and Cairo 1860-1910. By Joseph Ben Prested. Routledge (2017)
- The Geopolitic of Russia, by Alexander Dugin. Published by Akademechisky Proekt. Moscow. (2016)
- The Cartographic State, Maps, Territory, and the Origins of Sovereignty, by Jordan Branch. Cambridge University Press (2014).
- The Dictionary of Human Geography, 5th Edition. Edited by Derek Gregory et al. Published by Wiley-Blackwell (2009).
- Racism and Ethnicity: Global Debates, Dilemmas, Directions, by Ian Law. Published by Routledge (2009)
- Mapping the New World Order, edited by Thomas J. Volgy et al. Wiley-Blackwell. (2009)
- The Age of Apology: Facing up the Past. By Rohada Hassman. Pennsylvania. 2009
- The Red Lands, The illustrated Archeology of Egypt’s Eastern Desert, by Steven Sidebotham et. al. American University press in Cairo. (2008)
- Egypt and the Egyptians, by Douglas J. Brewer and Emily Teeter. Published by Cambridge University Press. (2007)
- Principal of remote sensing, Canada Center for Remote sensing (2007)
- Geography and Revolution, edited by David Livingstone and Charles Withers. The university of Chicago press (2005)
- The Geography of War and Peace. From Death Camps to Diplomats. Oxford University Press (2005)
- Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, by John Perkins. Published by Plume (2005).
- Ethnic Nationalism and the Fall of Empires: Central Europe, the Middle East and Russia, 1914-23, by Aviel Roshwald. Published by Routledge (2000).
- Black Marxism, The Making of the Black Radical Tradition, by Cedric J. Robinson. Published by The University of North Carolina Press (2000)
- Geopolitical Traditions: Critical Histories of a Century of Geopolitical Thought, edited by David Atkinson and Klaus Dodds. Published by Routledge (2000).
- Modern Geographical thought. By Richard Peet. Willey.(1998)
- World Orders: Old and New, by Noam Chomsky. Columbia University Press (1997).
- The Geographical traditions: Episodes in the history of a contested enterprise. By David Livingstone. Welly-Blackwell. (1993)
- From Rus to Russia. By Lev Gomeleov. (1991)
- The Threatening Desert: Controlling Desertification, by Alan Grainger. Published by Earthscan Pubns Ltd; 1st Ed. edition (1990)
(9) Academic Website: بيت الجغرافيا
Since 2016 he launched the “Geo-house” website, a nonprofit digital portal aiming to disseminate geographic knowledge across five sections:
– Classical geographical writings
– Book /Article reviews
– Geographic blogging and travelling
The website includes hundreds of scientific and cultural papers. The website is updated daily.
(10) Doctoral and Master dissertations accomplished under his supervision
- S (2018) Geoarcheological analysis of Nile valley between Esna and Edfu, Egypt, a co-supervision with Mohamed El-Sab’awy (PH.D thesis Minya University)
- W (2018) Geomorphological hazards threatening archeological sites in Southern Sinai, Egypt. Benha University, a co-supervision with Ali. M Kamil (M.A thesis, Benha University)
- El-Nawasany. M (2018) Digital slope map analysis, eastern Cairo region, Egypt. a co-supervision with El-Sayed Alhussayni (M.A thesis, Cairo University)
- N (2016) Toponomy of place names in Sinai peninsula, Egypt, a co-supervision with Amal Suliman (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- El-Banna E. (2015) Geomorphology of lagoonal bars north of Nile Delta. Benha University , a co-supervision with Sabir A. Dessouki . (PH.D thesis)
- S (2015) Monitoring the geomorphological changes along the eastern region of Nile Delta, a co-supervision with Goda El-Turkomani (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- M (2015) Digital slope mapping of selected escarpments in western Sinai, Egypt. Benha University, a co-supervision with Ali. M Kamil (M.A thesis)
- M (2015) A geomorphological information system of water springs in Western Desert of Egypt. a co-supervision with Goda El-Turkomani (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- Abu Talib. S (2015) the Geomorphology of El-Qattara Depression, Western Desert of Egypt. a co-supervision with Samir Sami (PH.D thesis, Cairo University).
- Khalifa S. ( 2015) The geomorphology of alluvial fans of Wadies entering the eastern bank of Nile valley between Helwan and Asyut, a co-supervision with Samir Sami (M.A, Cairo University).
- A (2014) Human-induced changes in the Red Sea coastal plain, between Suez and Mersa Alam. a co-supervision with Sabry Mahsoub (M.A thesis, Cairo University)
- S (2013) Geomorphological factors affecting centers of human settlements in the eastern bank of River Nile, Minya governorate, Egypt., a co-supervision with Medhat Gaber (M.A thesis, Minya University)
- Ebrahim F. (2013) Abu Zneima area in western Sinai, A geomorphological study. a co-supervision with Sabry Hamad (M.A thesis, Al-Azhar University).
(11) Doctoral and Master dissertations under his supervision but work is still going on
- S. Geoarcheological analysis of the historical road Qift- Bernis. (PH.D thesis, Cairo University).
- Mohammed E . Environmental controls affecting three cities on the Red Sea coast of Egypt: Ras Ghareb, Safaga and Quiser. (PH.D thesis, Cairo University).
- Mousa M. Geoarcheological analysis of the Nile Valley sector between Edfu and Aswan (PH.D thesis, Cairo University).
- Atef N. Karst Geonorphology in the two plateaus of El-Galala, Eastern Desert of Egypt. (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- Mohammed Y. Water Resources in the northern sector of Eastern Desert of Egypt. (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- Abdel-Tawab N. Geoarcheological analysis of southern part of El-Minya governorate (M.A thesis, Cairo University).
- H. The digital atlas of Nubia region in Egypt. (PH.D thesis, Ain Shams University).
- Abdulghany A. Pleistocene environmental changes in Kharga Depression, Western Desert of Egypt. (M.A thesis, Asyut University).
- Mohamed T.. Geomorphological factors affecting urban centers in the western bank of River Nile, Asyut governorate, Egypt (M.A thesis, Asyut University)
(12) Teaching courses
- Physical Geography
- Natural Hazards
- Geomorphology of Arid Lands
- Remote Sensing : Basics
- Remote Sensing : Applied
(13) Member of Scientific committees
- Arab Union for Earth Sciences (2013- till present)
- Egyptian Geographical society ( 1991- till present)
- African Geological society ( 2014-2016)
- Russian Geographical society (1997-2001/ 2014-2016)
- Editor in chief, Journal of Translation of Cairo University “Al-Turjman” (2011-2012)
- Advisory board for National center for translation, sector of social sciences and humanities (2010- till present)
(14) Disseminating geographical knowledge
Keynote speaker to mass communications:
– Guest and speaker in many TV channels
– Writer in many journal and newspapers
(15) Prizes awarded
– State Encouragement Award in Social Sciences, 2009, Supreme Council Of Culture, Egyptian Ministery of Culture.
جائزة الدولة التشجيعية في العلوم الاجتماعية. المجلس الأعلى للثقافة، وزارة الثقافة المصرية